- Contact Us
- About Us
- Our Focus
- News & Events
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a FREE twelve-week, small group program designed for adult cancer survivors. Our goal is to help participants build muscle mass and muscle strength, increase flexibility and endurance and improve functional ability. Additional goals include reducing the severity of therapy side effects, preventing unwanted weight changes and improving energy levels and self esteem. A final goal of the program is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery, but as a way of life.
In addition to the physical benefits, the program provides participants a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, Y staff and members. Y fitness instructors work with each participant to fit the program to their individual needs. The instructors are trained in the elements of cancer, post rehab exercise and supportive cancer care. Classes are held weekdays with daytime and evening classes.
Launched at the Rye Y in 2011, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA has served more than 500 survivors from across Westchester County, helping them manage the effects of treatment and the stress that goes along with cancer. We are the only YMCA in Westchester delivering this program. In 2015, we became the first Y in the country to offer LIVESTRONG at the YMCA—in Spanish—at a Federally Qualified Health Center (Open Door Family Medical Centers). Today, we serve approximately 100 men and women every year. We offer an alumni group to keep program participants connected. And we host LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Day, an annual event celebrating cancer survivors and their families.
The LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program includes:
• Free 12-week adult Y membership
• Two free 75 minute classes per week
• Full access to the Y seven days a week
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATION
• Class is available for individuals currently undergoing cancer treatment as well as those who have completed their treatment
and are looking to regain health and improve quality of life.
• Strong personal desire. Patient needs to enroll in program, rather than a family member.
• Personally commit to attending all classes
• Inform their physician of their plan to join the program and obtain a signed medical clearance form.
• Give permission for Y Fitness staff to call physician or person giving treatment when necessary.
• Participate in an interview with our Survivor Advocate, complete a confidential health assessment and program registration forms.
Click here to view current program dates/times in our program guide.
To learn more about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to support our free LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program (funded by donor contributions)
Watch our video below about the Rye Y’s program.
© Rye YMCA. All Rights Reserved. Site by Stark.