Our Mission in Action
Helping people of all ages and abilities to develop health in spirit, mind and body is at the core of the YMCA movement. Our programs are designed to help people create realistic goals for self improvement through regular exercise, proper nutrition, stress management and health education. There are over 200,000 visits per year to our Y facility by health seeking teens, adults and seniors.
In addition, through our outreach initiatives, we actively promote community wide wellness by offering programs and services that would otherwise not be available. Most importantly, the Y works to ensure that our programs and services remain accessible to all through a variety of on-going philanthropic endeavors.
Highlights from 2009 include:
- Awarded financial assistance totaling $260,000, ensuring the availability of the Y’s programs and services to those most in need.
- Provided $148,000 of philanthropic funds to subsidize important services such as the Teen Center and pool time for the Rye Handicapped Association.
- Our outreach initiatives totaled $86,000 allowing us to further expand the Y’s mission beyond the four walls of our facility throughout the communities of Rye, Harrison, Larchmont and Mamaroneck.
- Served over 1200 children in our summer camps, providing memories lasting a lifetime.
- The Y provided over 4400 swim lessons to children and adults, a safety skill that builds confidence and trust.
- Kicked off an edible gardens pilot program at 3 schools, providing a direct, hands on way to learn about healthy eating from seed to table.
- Conducted a Healthy Community and America on the Move event to encourage community members to move more and eat healthier. Easily surpassed goal by logging 110 million steps. Hundreds of children and families took advantage of the day long celebration of good health with free activities and healthy snacks.