Derby Goes Green
The Rye Derby turns 30 this year and to celebrate, we’re going green!
Caring for our planet makes perfect sense when you consider the Y’s three focus areas: youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
By going green, we’re taking steps to protect our children’s future. We’re supporting clean air and water for all. And we’re taking a stand for our earth…the only home we have.
This year, you’ll see significant changes at the Rye Derby and Healthy Kids Day (Sunday, April 29).
- We’re eliminating disposable plastic water bottles. Runners and others are encouraged to bring their own re-usable water bottles. Water will also be provided from re-usable jugs, served in compostable cups.
- Food waste and cups will be composted. All items that can be recycled will be. Visit the Zero to Go stations and learn about waste reduction, recycling and composting!
- We’re eliminating balloons. They tend to escape, ending up on land or in waterways where they pose a choking hazard to wildlife.
- We’re eliminating the disposable plastic tablecloths that would just end up in landfills. Instead, we’re using cloth tablecloths.
Derby Goes Green is a Rye YMCA initiative that is supported by a dedicated team of community volunteers. The Derby Goes Green Committee is:
- John Borchert, Rye Middle School science teacher
- Lori Fontanes, Rye Y Cross District Wellness Committee
- Sara Goddard , Rye City Council Member, Rye Sustainability Committee
- Melissa Grieco, Chairperson, Rye Sustainability Committee, triathlete
- Kerry Linderoth, Director of Sustainability, Rye Country Day School
- Anne Mottola, school garden consultant, graphic designer
- Lyell Lewis, Rye YMCA
- Susan Olson, Rye YMCA
- Denise Woodin, Rye YMCA
Derby Goes Green is made possible through the generous support of the following local businesses and organizations:
- The Granola Bar, Rye
- Green Jay Landscaping
- The Pearl Restaurant Group
- Rye Country Day School
- Rye Teacher’s Association
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT DERBY GOES GREEN OR TO GET INVOLVED, CONTACT DENISE WOODIN AT 914-967-6363, EXT. 101 OR DENISE@RYEYMCA.ORG